Compote my a**!

I bought fruit compote at the sorta fancy only supermarket in town where you can get plain cheerios and no-sugar added peanut butter. It was jaw-droppingly expensive, around $7.60 for a pint of the stuff. The title of this post arrives because I can hear my father in my head. "7 bucks for jelly? are you drunk??" "Its compote, dad." "Compote my ass. You just paid $7 for jelly. You're drunk."

I really don't know what I was thinking. Well, I do, actually. I was thinking it would be healthier and more delicious to add this stuff to plain yogurt than to keep buying the kids pre-sweetened yogurt (which as we discussed this summer, is horrifically sweet...). And my plan was successful except that it is so unbelievably delicious that I just want to eat it with a spoon and so do the kids and so does my husband. So I think I need to investigate making my own fruit compotes right quick.

Basic recipe:
two green apples peeled and cut into chunks
1/2 pint blackberries (frozen ok too)
1/2 cup cranberries
splash of apple juice
2 tbsp sugar (add one at a time to taste)
1/2 tsp. corn starch
1/2 tsp vanilla
Cook until thick but apples still retain some substance. Cool, spoon on things like yogurt, ice cream, etc.. feel very silly for ever paying $7 for this...