Enchiladas

I've been avoiding this blog for a while. I've just had too much going on. Too much fear and too much sadness. Things are looking up, though, and I'm feeling rather blessed by my immediate and extended family. As part of the post-traumatic event doings, we are having lots of guests which has me in the mode of preparing food in advance so I don't have to worry too much about feeding people while they are here.

I made these enchiladas last night and enjoyed them with good friends today for lunch.

Spray an 8"X8" glass baking pan lightly with cooking oil spray (I avoid the ones with silicone and/or propellants and just buy the supermarket version with only oil). Cover the bottom of the pan with corn tortillas, break them up to get into the corners. Top with black beans, shredded leftover chicken or pork and some cheddar soy-cheese (or real cheese if your guts haven't betrayed you...). Keep layering like this until the pan is about 80% full. You can also take each tortilla and fill it with the beans, chicken and cheese and roll them up individually, but I find the lasagne method a little faster and easier (tastes the same...)
There are lots of options for the sauce:
11/2 cup green chile salsa, blended with 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin and two garlic cloves
2 cups chunky 'fresh salsa'
2 cups classic red enchilada sauce

Whatever you make, top the enchilada with it, cover with foil and either refridgerate or bake at 350 for about 30minutes. Serve with sour cream, chives and some cold salsa.