Mango, Papaya and Tangerine...

Mango and Papaya are appearing regularly in my new favorite part of Stop & Shop, the scratch & dent produce shelf. I even went so far as to write Stop & Shop a thank you note for keeping usable food out of landfills, putting odd food there with enticing prices to encourage trying new things, and making fresh produce available at knock down prices. So I've got all these ripe mangoes and papaya and what shall I do with them.

1. I'm cutting a bunch into chunks and freezing them for smoothies. Mangoes add yummy sweetness to berry smoothies.

2. Papaya Salsa- papaya, salt, pepper, lime juice, garlic, ginger, spring onion, cilantro. Deliciously summery on grilled fish. If you want it spicy, a bit of jalapeno pepper is good in this too.

3. Bread pudding. I love bread puddings with unexpected fruits like mango, papaya, and blueberry, instead of apple and raisin.

4. I've been messing around with a spread of whipped mango, butter and lemon juice for toast, but something is missing and I'm not sure what...

5.Papaya and avocado make a nice salad over romaine with some vinaigrette dressing.

Here's Rosemary Clooney singing the Mango Song to get you in the mood...